The Institute of Molecular Biology (www.imb.de) is a Centre of Excellence for Life Sciences. It is located on the campus of Johannes Gutenberg University (JGU) in Mainz, Germany. The institute currently has 19 research groups and approx. 250 staff. Research at IMB focusses on genome stability & DNA repair, epigenetics & RNA biology, as well as proteostasis & phase separation—esp. in the context of ageing and age-related diseases.
IMB recently obtained the perspective of becoming a Center in the Helmholtz Association (www.helmholtz.de), Germany’s largest scientific organisation. Helmholtz Centres are the flagship research institutions of the Helmholtz Association. To support this process—from the initial concept to the establishment of a Helmholtz Centre in Mainz—we seek an experienced Science Manager.
The successful applicant will be involved in a range of tasks including:
- Researching of information and drafting of documents describing the vision and plans for the Helmholtz Centre to various audiences (incl. scientists, politicians or administrators) as well as of texts aimed at the general public
- Coordinating the various stakeholders involved in the process, esp. at IMB, JGU and its Medical Centre, the Helmholtz Association and the State and Federal Ministries. This includes the coordination and preparation of meetings and their follow-up.
- Communicating with all key players involved in the process
- Organising visits to IMB of key stakeholders and events, such as on-site evaluations
The Science Manager will be embedded in and supported by a very professional Science Management department at IMB with dedicated offices for, for example, event management, communications and outreach, science writing, fundraising and grant management.
We are looking for a dynamic person who has:
- Two to five years of experience in science management, esp. science communication and outreach, fundraising, or the coordination of large consortia, initiatives or programmes
- A solid understanding of the modern life sciences, especially as relates to the research topics of IMB, documented e.g. via a PhD in biology or a related discipline
- A very good command of German and English and strong communication skills (written and oral), with the ability to interact with scientists, administrators, politicians and other stakeholder at different levels
- An outgoing personality, a high degree of motivation, reliability and flexibility, along with an ability to work independently and in a goal-focused fashion within a service-orientated team
- Experience working in international contexts is advantageous
Your prospects: We offer a challenging and interesting full-time position in an international institute, remuneration according to your experience and the opportunity of advanced vocational training. The position is initially for 2 years, with the possibility of extension. IMB is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please email a cover letter, your CV (both in English), letters of reference and copies of your degrees as a single PDF to email@example.com . Please quote Ref. No. WMSM02 in all communications. Informal enquires should be addressed to Dr Ralf Dahm (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Closing date for applications: 10 March 2022
Starting date: May 2022 or shortly thereafter
Declaration of Consent and Data Protection
By sending us your application, you are consenting to us saving your personal data in order to carry out the selection process. You can find more information on data protection and retention periods at https://www.imb.de/jobs/data-protection.