The Institute of Molecular Biology gGmbH (IMB) is a Centre of Excellence for Life Sciences funded by the Boehringer Ingelheim Foundation and located on the campus of the University of Mainz in Germany. IMB focuses on epigenetics, DNA repair and developmental biology and offers premium scientific core facilities (see www.imb-mainz.de/core-facilities).
The Genomics Core Facility is looking for a staff scientist to perform collaborative research in the framework of a DFG-funded Collaborative Research Center (SFB 1361), “Regulation of DNA Repair & Genome Stability”. This interdisciplinary network brings together experts in structural biology, organic and biochemistry, cell and molecular biology and genetic toxicology with the aim of investigating and understanding intrinsic and environmental sources of genome instability, their biological effects and the defence mechanisms that protect cells against genotoxic stress.
Within the SFB, IMB’s Genomics Core Facility will serve as point of coordination for a set of larger-scale next-generation sequencing (NGS) projects involving several SFB groups and seeking a systematic mapping of genome instability under a range of conditions. GCF currently operates a NextSeq500 and a MiSeq (Illumina sequencing platforms).
- Work as part of the Genomics Core Facility team in collaboration with SFB groups
- Perform library preparation and quality control of DNA and RNA samples
- Develop and establish new protocols for NGS-based analyses
- Organize, schedule, monitor and report NGS projects
- Handle and maintain lab equipment and sequencers
- Consult and train Core Facility users
- PhD in life sciences or in a related field
- Experience with genomics technology and good understanding of molecular biology
- Experience in developing protocols for NGS library preparation
- Experience with the operation of a NGS facility or other high-throughput techniques
- Experience in genome stability research
- Ability to perform high-quality analyses in a responsible and independent manner
- Strong communication skills, team spirit as well as good oral and written communication skills in English
- A stimulating, diverse and international research environment
- Advanced training opportunities
- Favorable pension scheme
Applications should be in English and sent as a single PDF file including a cover letter, CV, certificates and at least two references quoting Ref. No. CFSS05 to email@example.com. Informal enquires should be addressed to Dr. Maria Mendez-Lago (firstname.lastname@example.org). IMB is an equal opportunity employer.
Starting Date: 1 October 2021 or as soon as possible
Duration: The position is initially available for two years with the possibility of extension.
Application Deadline: 15 September 2021
Declaration of Consent and Data Protection:
By sending us your application, you are consenting to us saving your personal data in order to carry out the selection process. You can find more information on data protection and retention periods at www.imb.de/jobs/Data Protection.